Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Help Is On the Way

... This might be the headline of the year: "Defeated Lynn Swann picked up by Steelers as a kick returner"

... So it's the first week of November and we're already talking about the 2007 draft. Last week I said that DL/OL/LB were primary issues (I think that's what I said -- I'm too lazy to check) and I think I feel similarly today. I agree with DJ about Ike's tough day at the office, but the secondary's fine. I know some people are all worked up about Deshea Townsend's recent stumbles, but the guy's always been 5'9" and not particularly fast. That said -- and to rip-off Denny Green -- Townsend is who we thought he was. A solid No. 2 cornerback who's probably an even better nickel back.

... MJD has a great post on why, exactly, Joey Porter got slapped with a $15,000 fine. Well, it's great in as much as it can be when you consider that Crazy Joey might've threatened some old dude.

... David provides the Unsubstantiated Rumor of the Year in the comments:
Just heard on the Steelers Podcast that after last season, Cowher and agent wanted a 5 yr, 5 mil per year contract extension. Dan was for it, Art Jr. was not, so no extension, Bill and Art don't talk, he won't be back next year, and the players know it. All this before the season started.
And Steve has the conspiracy theory to go along with the URoY. Who knows what to make of the rumor, but when your team is 2-6 it helps ease the pain. Oh, the pain.

Somewhat Rooney-related, when I was at training camp, I got to stand a few feet from Dan Sr. as he accepted an award from Latrobe's mayor, exchanged hellos with Art II (he's shorter than I thought -- maybe 5'10"), and Wex introduced me to Dan Jr., who's a scout for the team, and he told the story about how he "found" Willie Parker.

Anyway, concerning the URoY: I've given Cowher more grief this season than in previous years, but I genuinely like the guy (the fact that I had to defend him last January still boggles the mind) and I hope he stays. Or at the very least, leaves on his terms and hopefully not because of a spat over money.

But hey, what do I know? I thought Cowher should've kept Tim Lewis, and the team should've re-signed Randle El. Although ... if Pittsburgh didn't draft one player and re-signed ARE, they'd probably be no worse than 5-3 right now. And if Charlie Batch started a couple of games I'm sure the Steelers would be 8-0. Okay, not really.