Saturday, October 07, 2006

I Get Emails

Okay, I'm back from my vacation. Alright, it wasn't really a vacation. In fact, I've been extremely busy with real work and fake work (any writing-related stuff is fake work, but you probably already knew that).

In the two weeks I've been off trying to earn money for that new plasma TV, a lot has happened:

* A Loser Picking Winners went the way of Jason Whitlock on Page 2. (And this isn't necessarily a bad thing ... I think)

* Willie Reid finally got called up to the big leagues. Unfortunately, it came at the expense of Ricardo Colclough's neck injury, which has since landed him on the IR.

And just in case I haven't made this clear, I hope Colclough makes a full recovery, comes back in 2007 better than before, and Steelers fans forget that he was the guy Cowher put in position to single-handedly lose the Bengals game. This shouldn't be Colclough's legacy.

* Pittsburgh avoided a loss in Week 4, but the Ravens pulled a second straight game out of their ass to go to 4-0. And we can bitch and moan all we want about how the Ravens have been lucky so far this season, but you know what? They're 4-0. And the Steelers are 1-2. Those are the facts. If Pittsburgh's offense and special teams continue to struggle it won't matter what Baltimore does.

* I kinda feel bad for Marvin Lewis. By all accounts, he's done an unbelievable job turning around that craptastic Bengals team, but at some cost. Namely, betting on a bunch of convicts. Well, that has come back to bite him in the ass. Like 27 times (once for each phone call he receives from a newly arrested Bengals player). That said, the Bengals are another "Cops" episode away from imploding.

And somebody might want to check Carson Palmer's prescription for his knee, because he continues to insist that Cincy's the best team in the league -- like he did last season after the Steelers whupped them in the first regular season game -- and after hearing his comments after that Patriots beat down, I'm convinced now more than ever that he should be drug tested.

* The Yankees suck. I know only GlennW and I admit to being Red Sox fans here, but almost everybody can agree on hating the Yankees. Hey, maybe next year guys. You'll have Manny then too.

I was talking to my buddy Andy (who's a Yankees fan) the other night and he said something to the effect of, "It took A-Rod being on the team for me to realize how good Jeter is." I agreed. Before A-Rod, I HATED Jeter. After A-Rod, I willingly admit that Jeter might be one of the best players in baseball.

On some level, I feel bad for how the New York media and fans treat A-Rod, but he can take solace in the fact that he's worth a quarter of a billion dollars, and more importantly, he'll be playing somewhere else next season. Man, what a train wreck.

One more thing: Gary Sheffield, there's still time to sign up for Kevin Millar's fielding camp. You're a prime candidate after watching Game 4.

* Oh yeah, I got this email the other day:
To: Ryan Wilson
From: Seth Werkheiser
Subject: Pittsburgh Steelers @ San Diego Chargers Live Blogging Action
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006

Hey there heelssoxsteeler,

Noticed you haven't blogged since Sept 25th. I hope that's not because of the Steelers play! But hey - I thought maybe this might of intrest to you and your readers.

Our guy MJD live-blogs the Sunday Night Game, with commentary that's at least more entertaining than John Madden's "BOOMS!"

URL: Pittsburgh Steelers @ San Diego Chargers Live Blog

I know it's a few days away, but this can give you time to mentally prepare. Heh...

Seth Werkheiser, Oakland Raiders Fan
Seth works for AOL but apparently doesn't realize that I'm one of the guys who posts over there. And he also thinks I'm MJD, which I will take as a compliment, although I'm sure MJD would feel otherwise. My plan to take over the internets isn't going quite like I planned. Whatever, I'll be livebloggling the Sunday night game (and yes, I think the term "liveblogging" sounds ridiculous). This goes against everything I believe when it comes to watching Steelers games, but I'm willing to make a concession this week if it snaps the losing streak. Luckily, I have Monday off, so I can rewatch the game in normal spaz mode after the first showing if need be.

Feel free to leave comments there during the game, or just throw them up here, Chris Henry style.