Tuesday, May 11, 2004

I pledge allegiance to...Manny Ramirez
Manny Ramirez had an excused absence from last nights drubbing by Cleveland because he was becoming a U.S. citizen. I have to admit, I had no idea he wasn't already, but that's why we had to watch replacement left fielder Brian Daubach almost get hit in the head with a fly ball in the first inning. It could have been very Canseco-esque. Either way, I'd never thought I'd say to myself, "boy, the Red Sox sure do miss Manny's glove in left."

In fact, I'd settle for an outfield of Manny and Johnny Damon -- and that's it -- at least until Trot Nixon comes back. Manny and Johnny can't be worse than having Daubach and Millar on the corners. They are so bad it's hard to watch. I'll take this opportunity to reiterate my support for Rickey Henderson.

Now that Manny's a citizen, I wonder if he'll vote in November. Maybe he and Affleck can team up and introduce 'their candidate' at rallies across the country.

One other question: Why did Manny wait until the season to become a citizen? I know the Red Sox said something about if he didn't do it now he may have to wait a year, but did this sneak up on him? Doesn't he have an agent that should be up on this kind of stuff? Anyway, I'm not convinced that Manny was actually in Miami. Have you seen the Indians Ron Belliard? He looks like Mini-Manny. And I'm not convinced it actually wasn't Manny reliving past glory in an Indians uniform (Belliards about a foot shorter and a foot wider than Manny, but those are frivilous details).

Send me an Email