Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Hanging on by a thread
Last week I mentioned that both high school All-Americans Shaun Livingston (Duke) and J.R. Smith (UNC) had made themselves eligible for the NBA draft. And because they had yet to sign with an agent, the players had until June 17 to still choose to attend college.

I was wrong (again). According to the Charlotte Observer, high school players can actually be drafted and still choose to go to college -- as long as they don't sign with an agent or accept any money.

This probably won't make any difference to Shaun Livingston, who's projected to go as high as fourth (to the Charlotte Bobcats), but this could be important for J.R. Smith. He's projected to go anywhere from 14th to late in the first round, and he says he needs to be a lottery pick to justify staying in the draft. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Send me an Email