Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Christmas comes early
The USA Today reports Wednesday that Deion Sanders will not be back on the NFL Today, CBS's pregame show. According to the article, Sanders wanted $2 million for the 2004 season while CBS was only willing to offer $1.3 million. Sanders made $1 million last season.

Citing that he knew what the market would bear, Sanders felt that he should have at least been offered $1.5 million.
"I got a call from (CBS Sports President) Sean McManus on Tuesday that stated it's been wonderful and I tried," Sanders said Wednesday. "I know business is business. But it's not like I don't know the market. Just try to meet me halfway."
Apparently some portion of CBS viewers actually enjoyed Sanders' antics (maybe these are the same people who thought Rush Limbaugh brought insightful commentary to the ESPN pregame show), while others found his opinions lacking substance. Mark me down -- twice -- as being in the latter group.

What's really funny is that Deion actually thinks he has something to offer in the way of insight.
"Said Sanders: "I don't think anyone in the profession did as much as me. I did interviews and features. I would have done them weekly but they also had Lesley (Visser) and Marcus (Allen). A lot of guys have been around the NBA longer than LeBron James, too. But (the Cleveland Cavaliers) saw fit to take care of him. It's not how much you've been around but how much you've done lately.""
Now if we're talking about Sanders the player, there was arguably no better cover cornerback ever. If we're talking about Sanders the football analyst, he ranks right up there with Lisa Guerrero.

Here's the thing, Sanders is an egomaniac that takes himself way too seriously. I'm glad he's gone because he didn't add anything to the show; and the only person probably more excited about his departure than me is his co-host Jim Nantz.

I think Nantz is one of the all-time great sports announcers. After the NFL season he does college basketball with Billy Packer (although he has more fans than Sanders, I think CBS would be better without both of them). After the NCAA's Nantz serves as the commentator (along with Lanny Wadkins) for CBS's coverage of the PGA Tour.

As much as I like Nantz, he must have been a horrible person in his previous life because no matter the sport, he always seems to be stuck with some dope as his co-host. Well, one down, two to go.

Send me an Email