Thursday, May 13, 2004

So that's what happened
Plaxico Burress will be on The Sporting News radio today to explain that he missed minicamp not because he's upset about his contract situation but because he was spending time with his family during Mother's Day. Burress's mom died two years ago.

"I don't always make the right decision, but I do what I feel is right. The fact that the camp was on Mother's Day weekend was inconsiderate towards the guys on the team, especially since they stress family first."
Burress may have a point, but if that was the case, why didn't he or his agent call the Steelers and let them know? I can't imagine Cowher vehemently refusing to let Burress miss the three day minicamp for family reasons.

I like Burress and think he's an important part of what the Steelers are trying to do offensively. When he plays well, he makes Hines Ward's job easier, Jerome Bettis's (and now Duce Staley's) job easier and he makes Tommy Maddox's job easier. My first hunch is to think that Burress may have been upset about the contract, but then after some thought, changed his mind (but that's just a hunch, what do I know).
"If it was based on my contract, then I never would have showed my face around there during the offseason," he said. "Several weeks before camp I sat down with the coaches and watched film. I was there for two or three weeks during the offseason. I don't see how anyone could say this has anything to do with my contract."
Burress kind of addressed why he didn't contact the Steelers, but it still leaves at least one question in my mind: Wouldn't one phone call explaining your situation have mitigated all the concerns from media, players and coaches?

"I didn't care if they thought it was a misunderstanding. When it comes to my family, everything else is obsolete. Nothing else matters. I didn't feel I had to explain anything to them (Steelers coaches) or the owners for any reason. I made the decision based on how I felt and what I felt was really important to myself and my brothers.

"I've had people upset with me in the past and missing a three-day camp is not going to hurt me. I made that decision based on myself and I didn't really care what anybody else thought. I think it was totally inconsiderate by having a camp on Mother's Day especially since there are four other weekends in May."
The good thing is, Burress will probably be back in Pittsburgh next week to resume voluntary workouts and by the time the season starts, this will all but be forgotten -- which is a good thing for everyone trying to forget a 6-10 record from a season ago.

Send me an Email