Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Big Ben Might Be in Deep Do-Do


Well, this is certainly a shit storm. I have no idea what to think, partly because I don't want to unfairly assume this woman is lying, but also because I just don't want to think about it.

I talked to my lawyerin' buddy yesterday after we both looked over the civil complaint and he basically said this (he's a litigator at a corporate firm, for whatever that's worth -- HSS legal counsel John can correct any mistakes I make here):

Big Ben looks really, really bad no matter what actually happened. If his lawyer is smart, this will never go to trial, Ben will settle (probably sometime after the season), no one will admit anything, and no one will be allowed to talk about it.

Now, I don't know how Rog Goodell handles this from a player-conduct-policy perspective, but if Ben isn't accused of anything and settles a civil suit out of court, I'm not sure where there's a violation. But again, I'm not a laywer.

I've never heard rumors that Ben was a slut, but let's be honest: he's in his mid-20s, worth $100 million, and has women throwing themselves at him.

One thing kept coming back to me yesterday as I read the complaint: Mike Tomlin's words to his team before they left for the summer: "Don't be that guy."