Thursday, November 29, 2007

Stuff

I'm a day late with this, so my bad on that, but here's a breakdown of the 28 pass attempts (including sacks) from the Monday night Dolphins' game.
Steps  AvgYds Front Rush Sacks Freq
1 3.3 3.0 4.3 0 3
3 1.6 3.4 4.1 4 10
5 8.9 3.9 4.2 0 13
7 -0.5 4.0 5.0 0 2
A few things to note: 'Steps' is the number of steps Ben took in his dropback; 'Front' is how many down rushers Miami showed pre-snap; 'Rush' is how many Miami defenders rushed on the play; 'Freq' is how often the Steelers ran a pass play using a specific-step drop.

Interestingly, Roethlisberger was sacked all four times on three-step drops, primarily because four rushers beat five Steelers' pass-blockers. Also, the five-steppers weren't as issue because Ben got the ball out when he planted his back foot on step No. 5. Hmm. (Oh, and the one-step drops were slip screens/shovel passes).

Okay, have at it.

*******
Anybody know why fans outside of New York and New England hate the Yankees and Red Sox? I just don't get it. I mean, both teams are now in the Johan Santana sweepstakes, although I'd take a pass if I'm Theo Epstein. I've only been half-paying attention the Red Sox off-season because it's basically become a video game at this point, but if Jacoby Ellsbury has to be part of the deal, in my mind, it's not worth it. Continue not giving a crap. Just putting that out there for the record.

*******
I know absolutely nothing about college football, but HBO is running this unbelievable documentary on the Ohio St. - Michigan rivalry. I was about the best damned thing I've seen on the teevees since the Ravens-Steelers MNF game. I had no idea Woody Hayes was a such a paranoid, maniacal bad ass. Or that the states of Ohio and Michigan had such animosity towards each other.