Saturday, March 10, 2007

Mahan Solves All Steelers' Problems

The Steelers finally get into the free-agency business and sign Sean Mahan. Not exactly glamorous, be we already knew it wouldn't be. That's fine; I don't know anything about Mahan other than what I've read in the last few days, but I like the idea of Simmons competing with him for Hartings' job. Of course, I was a Chukky Okobi fan, and his days seem to be numbered, but I'll overlook that for the moment. Anyway, here are the numbers:
Mahan signed a 5-year deal averaging just under $3.5 million per year, and will be paid close to $5 million in 2007. The 5-year veteran turned down more money elsewhere to be a Steeler.
That's a lot of dough for a guy who will be competing for a job. Still, I think it says something that earlier this week Mahan expressed interest in being a starter ... and signed with the Steelers anyway. Either the team gave some indication that he'd win the job (I doubt it), or he so liked the organization that he signed despite the competition.

If Mahan does win the job, it's probably curtains for Simmons, who's contract is up at the end of the year. I think Simmons could make the switch to center -- much like Hartings did when he came over from Detroit -- but that will work itself out over the next few months. If nothing else, Mahan -- who also played guard in Tampa Bay -- adds depth to the offensive line. Now the Steelers can concentrate on important stuff, like when they are going to draft Daniel Sepulveda.