Monday, August 21, 2006

One thing

I don't say this everyday (okay, I never say it), but Mike Prisuta has a pretty good article in today's Tribune-Review. Maybe I'm just excited about Chidi making the team, but at this point I'll take it.

Just one quick thought from the game: Is Duce Staley really done? A lot of Steelers fans are ready to Tommy Maddox the guy, but I still haven't seen enough to be convinced. Yeah, he looks fat, but he's replacing Jerome Bettis, not Marshall Faulk. That's the first sentence of the job description: "Must be willing to consume 8,000 calories a day for 17 weeks." So far, so good. And to be fair, the offensive line hasn't exactly done a great job give Duce much room to run. (Insert fat joke here.)

And I think trading for T.J. Duckett is silly. The Falcons wanted a first-day pick back in April, what makes people think now, with demand at an all-time high, he'll come any cheaper. And if you're willing to give up a third-rounder for a backup running back, you're insane. You should quit your job and go to work for Matt Millen. You're the type of personnel guy he's looking for.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Duckett is worth it. Personally, I'm not going to be an alarmist about a guy who hasn't played a whole lot of football in the past 18 months. I'm willing to give him a few more opportunities before throwing him on the scrap heap.

Oh, and one more thing: the Red Sox suck. Real bad. That is all.