Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Quickly

I'm working on some other stuff, so just a couple of quick things:

... When I saw this headline, "Steelers safety's brother gets five years for attending Super Bowl," my first thought was, "That's gotta be Tyrone Carter." Well guess what?

... KR/PR Tim Dwight -- all 5'8" of him -- came and saw the South Side and then promptly signed with the Jets. No biggie, but I found this of particular interest:
The Steelers do not have any plans to bring in more free-agent players before coaches leave Friday for a week's vacation.

[...]

The Steelers will try to replace Randle El by taking a wide receiver in the first or second round of the NFL draft next month. But it isn't considered a strong year for wide receivers and the Steelers want to make sure they have an adequate backup plan in place if they don't find a suitable replacement in the draft.
If the staff is going on vacation I guess that means that Verron can wait until after the Brady's get back from Hawaii (if not indefinitely). Also, the fact that the Steelers "will draft a WR in the first or second round" is news to me (and I suppose most people not on the coaching staff). I agree with the contention that the WR crop is decidedly weak, but knowing that, why would Pittsburgh take one so early? Maybe Dulac's right -- I mean, anything could happen at this point -- but I'm just skeptical.

... Speaking of the draft, here's some not-so-good news for all the LenDale White-to-the-Steelers supporters: Scouts are starting to question his character and work ethic, which could obviously hurt his draft standing. He's also never been timed in the 40 while at USC, and if he busts out a 4.6-something, he might fall to the bottom of the first round.

OK, White falling to the bottom of the first round pokes all kinds of holes in my theory that he won't be around at #32, but it still doesn't mean Pittsburgh would -- or should -- take him. At some point I plan on writing something up about why RBs are so overvalued as first round picks, so keep your fingers crossed for that.

Anyway, the LenDale White stuff is from the Sporting News online, the same outfit that I pay to read, even though they have possibly the worst mock draft ever put together. As of yesterday, they have Pittsburgh taking CB Ashton Youboty in the first round and DT Jonathan Lewis in the second. Again, maybe I'm way off on this, but I just don't see the Steelers taking a CB at #32 unless he can play safety or return kicks or something other than add depth at cornerback. We'll see.