Tuesday, March 21, 2006

More Random Than Usual

... Here's an email my buddy Desmond sent me yesterday following the GMU - UNC fiasco:
From: DESMOND
Sent: 03/20/06 2:35 PM
To: ME
Subject:
--------

GMU

--------
Yep, that sounds about right. Oddly, Des didn't mention anything in his email about how his Maryland Terrapins lost to powerhouse Manhattan ... on their home court ... in front of 2,000 people ... in the NIT.

... As long as I'm talking about the college basketball, I might as well mention this from Adam Lucas of Tarheelblue.com. He wrote down his thoughts immediately following Sunday's second round loss to GMU and while it's probably a little sappy -- especially since Carolina won the whole thing a year ago -- it's worth a read. Particularly this little bit concerning Reyshawn Terry:
"Right now Reyshawn Terry knows he could have done better.

Tomorrow I think he will start committing himself to doing exactly that."
I only hope Reyshawn thinks the same thing.

... As long as I'm looking ahead, the News & Observer get's a start on what the 2006-2007 lineup might look like. Yikes.

******
Everybody seems a little worked up about the whole Lee Mays signing. I mentioned it yesterday but it's worth repeating:
I can only imagine the Lee Mays signing is an insurance policy in case PIT can't sign anyone else (or get some warm bodies through the draft) and Chris Doering decides not to unretire during training camp only to get cut right before the regular season opener.
It's way too early to start speculating about whether Lee Mays will be returning kickoffs or even sniff the field in the seldom used eight WR sets, much less as a fourth receiver.

The signing does again raise the question about where Quincy Morgan has disappeared, and Jim Wexell has the scoop:
Quincy Morgan can't sign with anyone yet because he wouldn't be able to pass a physical anywhere until, I believe, May.
Good stuff.

******
With the end of college basketball -- at least for me -- and only the draft to look forward to in the immediate NFL future, I guess that means it's time for a little baseball. I know I've written virtually nothing about it to date, but frankly, with the WBC going on and Kevin Millar opening up Boston South in the Orioles clubhouse, there hasn't been a whole lot to talk about.

Well, yesterday the Red Sox traded Bronson Arroyo to Cincy for Wily Mo Pena. I only saw Pena in three games last year and that was during the three-game CIN-BOS series in Fenway Park. And to be honest, I don't remember much about him other than thinking he looked like a bigger, stronger Glen Braggs. I do remember Arroyo, however (Bronson and Brandon). The guy who was so inconsistent he made Derek Lowe seem normal by comparison. With all the pitching the Red Sox have, I'm fine with this move. Plus it means I don't have to waste time this season asking no one in particular why Arroyo can't get any left-handed batter out in the entire American League, and knowing that, why Francona leaves him in.

Now the only question is this: Will the band stay together? I mean, how will Gammons and Theo cope with the loss?

... Honest Wagner has the story on the deal that almost was (Craig Wilson for Matt Clement), and the deal that still might come to pass.

OK, more silliness tomorrow.