Monday, April 11, 2005

Really ... Don't Quit Your Day Job

I go away for a few days and a third grade talent show breaks out, sans the talent (see here, here, here and here, for example). Apparently, a couple of ne'er-do-wells tried to "battle" (like B-Rabbit and Pappa Doc in 8 Mile) in the comments to last Thursday's post, but instead of being clever, they came off sounding like Milhouse vs. Ralph Wiggum, but without the keen wit. In fact, it's almost sad that people spend a good part of their day coming up with something they think is funny only to end up sounding like that kid in the car seat wearing the helmet while on the short bus (unless of course these comments were actually written by that kid in the car seat wearing the helmet while on the short bus; then I want to encourage him to keep up the good work and continue to try hard).

Anyway, Bassett from The Jets Blog has a good suggestion -- and one that I was contemplating after the latest rash of dopey comments. Instead of spending time deleting comments that are either offensive (to the senses, or to good humor in general) or inane (again, I direct you to this gem), I've instead decided to require registration before people can leave comments. And while that will probably reduce the number of comments I get on this site, I'm OK with it. In fact, most of the insightful comments are left by people who are already registered -- except for that lone voice supporting Mark Bellhorn -- that's my buddy Des (to be fair, I can't really fault him for wanting to be "Anonymous" when standing up for Bellhorn, but hey, somebody's got to do it).

OK, now that all the serious talk is out of the way, back to the regular garbage you've come to expect from me.