Thursday, August 06, 2009

O-Line Is Only an Issue if You Let it Be an Issue

I know we shouldn't put too much into an immediate, 140-character observation from the first week of training camp practice, but this is sure to concern some folks, especially since the Steelers used a third-rounder to "bolster" the offensive line. From Wex's Twitter Machine:

"Ramon Foster is a better player than Kraig Urbik. Urbik, frankly, is too soft. And I'm stunned."

And then there's this:

"At this point, Legursky will make the team and Shipley will be on the practice squad. Not being able to play G will hurt Shipley now."

Personally, I'm over the o-line issues. Every August we bellyache about how bad things are, Ben subsequently gets sacked 450 times, and the Steelers somehow make it to the postseason. We then spend the spring bellyaching about how the team has to take only fat guys in the draft. Inevitably, it doesn't happen, they get a few second-day stiffs, and the process repeats itself. Could Pittsburgh have a better offensive line? Um, hell yeah. But last year, 31 other teams would have gladly taken Starks, Kemoeatu, Hartwig, Stapleton and Colon if that mean winning a Super Bowl.

Well, I'm not getting sucked into the o-line debate this time. Nope, instead I'm going to focus my energies on perpetuating the "Frank the Tank = Bus" story line. Who's with me?!