Sunday, February 03, 2008

Two-fer: QOTD/Super Bowl Game Thread

photo stolen from Stampede Blue

Good Lord, the timing of Spygate: The Sequel couldn't have been worse for the NFL and the Patriots. I don't buy the whole "it'll give them more motivation" meme; even if New England wins, it's going to be a long, long off-season.

Arlen Specter obviously has an agenda, which shouldn't come as a shock to anybody who even follows D.C. goings on half-assedly. But the issue, I think, isn't hauling Goodell in front of the Judiciary Committee to get to the bottom of why the league destroyed evidence won't let Comcast in on the Sunday Ticket deal, but that there is potentially more damning evidence that New England cheated.

Here's my Question of the Day: what would be your reaction if the Steelers were the team accused of cheating back on Sept. 9, and they suffered the same NFL-mandated consequences as the Patriots? (Everything else about Pittsburgh's recent history is unchanged: they were 8-8 last year, 10-6 this year with a new coach, so on and so forth.) I'd like to think that I'd be horrified and would want all the truth to come out just to put this thing in the rearview. I'd also be monumentally disappointed and can't imagine I'd be putting forth the defense many Pats fans (even the smart ones) favor: "every team cheated, it's no big deal, this is a witch hunt because everybody hates New England."

Maybe I'm being naive to think I'd react differently, but I don't think so. I'm just curious if any people feel differently.

Oh, yeah, this is the Super Bowl game thread. Let's go Plax.