Saturday, January 05, 2008

We Ain't Dead Yet


Nope, I'm not referring to the Jags-Steelers wild-card game; there will be plenty of time for that (by the way, I'm starting to get all Ben Crenshaw, '99 Ryder Cup about this game ... that's a good thing for you non-golf fans). But here's some potentially good news from Mr. Wexell on the likelihood of keeping Alan Faneca and Max Starks in the mix.

Oh, and one more thing: I'm on board with the Hudson Houck thing, I think. I'm not one to sit around and hatch up George Constanza-esque personnel scenarios that'll make the Steelers world beaters. In fact, I get tired of reading message boards that have some version of the following every time a one-time now-over-the-hill NFL player gets released: "Do you think the Steelers should sign [insert over-the-hill player's name]? He would definitely be an improvement over [Willie Parker, Hines Ward, Alan Faneca, Ben Roethlisberger, Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu]".

But Houck is different. He's got an impressive resume, and unlike an one-time Pro Bowler who can barely walk because of various injuries/surgeries/concussions, Houck's worth isn't dependant on his 40-time. So, yeah, hesitantly mark me down as a Houck supporter. There will be plenty of time for that, though. First, there's the little issue of dealing with the Jags. Game thread to come later in the afternoon.