Sunday, January 06, 2008

Giants-Bucs/Titans-Chargers Game Thread

Well, with that out of the way, I suppose we should make our predictions for the rest of the postseason. I can make it easy for all of us; the bracket probably looks something like this:

AFC: Anybody but New England
NFC: Anybody but Dallas

To be fair, I don't mind the Cowboys all that much. Wade Phillips is like the weird uncle who may or may not hide dead bodies under his house (but in a good way). Romo's goofy, but he's fun to watch, and I actually don't mind T.O. But whatever, let's get a little more specific than just picking against the teams we hate.

I think I'm a Giants fan for the rest of the playoffs -- and that could be a short ride with this team -- primarily because of Plax. We all (well, most of us, anyway) questioned if he was No. 1 receiver, and now we know. Sure, he still drops a lot of balls, but so does T.O. You live with it. Plus, look who's throwing to him. And if the Giants lose, I suppose I'm a Packers fan. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Giants over BUCS
CHARGERS over Titans

We'll do the AFCD next week, after we get the matchups.


*******
Random notes:

* Thanks to everybody for the kind words about HSS. But, frankly, it has very little to do with me and everything to do with the commenters. I mean, I haven't been able to write for this site in some time now, but the threads are better than they ever were back when I had a real job and no real writing prospects. So you know what that means, right? Free HSS 2007 calendars for everybody, even the trolls.

* Eric's right. The Steelers aren't folding as a franchise. There's plenty to do this off-season, starting with free-agency and then ... the draft. So everybody take a break, a few deep breaths, and I'll see you here over the coming days and months. Remember, only eight months till the regular season. (Too soon?)

* Señor Gretz helps keep things in perspective, which is worth remembering right now, I think.

* Finally, happy birthday, Israel.