Friday, September 14, 2007

Shoe, Meet Other Foot

Here's something I've been thinking about the last few days -- and I might be able to type it up before the little guy DEMANDS MY FULL ATTENTION.

(By the way, I'm Mr. Mom for the foreseeable future, and I'll just say this: it's the hardest job on the planet. Real moms don't get nearly enough credit. When I say that my days are extremely busy, I don't mean that in a "hey, I had to do real work at my desk job today" busy. I mean, I didn't have time to visit the can, leisurely eat a bowl of cereal, or make meaningful, thoughtful posts on the internets. So, yay moms. I bow down to you.

As I type this, the six-month-old just had a BM. Awesome. Tip for soon-to-be parents: when your kid stops what they're doing, looks like they've been hypnotized, and their face turns bright red, do yourself a favor and go prep the changing-table area. Because in a few seconds, it'll be go time. Good news, though: the little guy just started eating cereal, so the No. 2s look a lot less like raw sewage, and more like, well, No. 2s. You're welcome for this aside.)

With apologies to Randy Steele, here's my question of the day:

If these allegations had been brought against the Steelers, what do you think the reaction would've been. And specifically, what would be your reaction?

Here's my short answer: One of the things that I will never understand is how fans can rationalize "their" team's shitty behavior because it's "their" team. If this had been Pittsburgh, 2006, I would've been fine with suspending Bill Cowher. It's cheating and, frankly, it's embarrassing.

If it had been Pittsburgh, 2007, and Romeo Crennel had made charges, I wouldn't have been surprised if Mike Tomlin got canned. I would've been upset, for personal reasons (did you know I went to school with Tomlin?), but it would've been justified.

In terms of the actual sanctions levied against the Pats, the fine is stupid, and I don't get the variation in draft picks based on if New England makes the playoffs. I know Goodell said he contemplated suspension but thought taking away draft pick(s) were longer lasting, but here's an idea: do both. Crazy, I know.