Monday, March 19, 2007

Adalius Keisel

Personally, I think this is great news:
The Steelers begin voluntary workouts Monday, but one player’s been anxiously roaming the halls of the team’s practice facilities since the middle of February.

That’s because defensive end Brett Keisel can’t wait to showcase his linebacker skills at the April 20 minicamp.
I know Ilanin ain't crazy about it, but where do I sign up?

Such a move -- even if only in certain packages -- could allow Pittsburgh to draft a defensive end at 1.15. Maybe Adam Carriker, a guy Wexell describes as a lot like Aaron Smith. And even if Carriker's gone, and Pittsburgh doesn't draft a DE, it could be an interesting experiment.

*******

In response to this, the commenter formerly known as Easy Peezy adds this:
I agree that it is absolutely absurd to question whether the Steelers should draft linebackers this year. Hell, I'd be okay with them taking 5. But adding a bruising RB to complement FWP or a good WR (especially if they cut Ced)... what's wrong with either of those ideas?
Yeah, I should've clarified -- if Pittsburgh takes a running back or a wideout in the first round, I hope they lose every game next season. Frankly, I'd be okay with a running back in rounds 2 or 3 (though I'm on record as being in the tight-end business ... kinda).

*******

Randy asks a great question: How often have you heard about all the parity around the NFL--for good or bad--and that the structure of the draft has a lot to do with that? And has an even better answer. Off the top of my head, I can imagine a draft that factors in strength of schedule, though I'm sure such an idea will get some peoples' panties in a bunch. Either way, something to think about while you waste time at work.