Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Still No News on the Coachin' Front

I would complain about not having enough hours in the day to do all the stuff I'd like, but I'm certain that you're probably tired of hearing it. Or, as Lou Holtz once said (and I'm paraphrasing ... and maybe somebody else said it): "Don't tell people your problems. Half of them don't care and the other half are glad you got 'em."

So, with that settled, on to important stuff, like coaching candidates. Honestly, I haven't been nearly as interested in the intricacies of the process as maybe I should. I like Mike Tomlin a lot (hey, did you know I went to school with him?) but I have some reservations about the whole Tampa-2 thing. My buddy Andy pointed out that it's not like Tomlin can't learn the 3-4 -- or doesn't already know it. He is a football coach, after all.

I still think I'm in the Grimm camp for now, but that's tenuous. I wrote earlier that Grimm had moved past Whisenhunt on my list because he seemed more like Cowher in terms of motivating the troops. I'm still not sold on that line of reasoning, but I don't regret the Rooney's not offering Whisenhunt the job. I hope the guy has all the success in the world in Arizona.

Anyway, I was listening to Steve Czaban the other morning and Chris Landry was on (he's a former scout and probably one of the most informative, interesting radio guests I've heard) talking about Ron Rivera. Somebody mentioned the 4-3/3-4 issue and Landry pointed out that just because a coordinator runs a 4-3 doesn't mean that' can't change. Plus, Rivera also played in the 3-4, so it's not like it's totally foreign to him. And you know what, Dick LeBeau will hopefully be around, so it won't be an immediate concern.

Ideally, the Rooney's will get somebody who will be around for a while and now that Whisenhun't in Phoenix, I'm kinda indifferent to Tomlin, Rivera and Grimm. Gailey and Sherman are right ahead of Art Shell on my wish list, however.

***
With the Steelers at home, this whole playoffs thing is a lot less stressful. I mean, can you imagine being a Chargers fan this week? I think LaDainian Tomlinson is all that's right about the NFL, and I can understand he might be frustrated following that bed-shitting loss, but if he wants to go off on somebody, how about Cam Cameron? Or Marlon McCree. Or every Chargers wideout who dropped a pass ... or four.

Look, I don't buy the whole Patriots are a classy organization stuff because, well, it's not true. Belichick, for as smart as he is, can be a whiny baby, and that Mangini-man-boob hug last week was just embarrassing. But you know what, who cares? New England's got three Super Bowls and no matter how much you hate them, you've got to respect them for that.

Tom Brady takes his job very seriously. I somehow think Big Ben doesn't work quite this hard. He might ... but I just don't get that impression.

Anyway, I hope the Colts win by 80.

Enough with the rambling, let's hire Mike Tomlin ... or Ron Rivera ... or Russ Grimm now!