Friday, January 12, 2007

Meet the Next Coach of Your Pittsburgh Steelers!

Okay, so this is a joke, right? I'll just assume you said yes, because I'm kinda baffled as to even why the Rooney's would waste the airfare on Chan Gailey.

It's not that I don't think Gailey is a swell guy -- he's done pretty well at Georgia Tech -- but I don't see how he fits into the Steelers' plans at all. Although, this offers a hint:
Gailey has long been considered a favorite of Cowher, who hired him in 1994 to be the Steelers' wide receivers coach. When he feared he was going to lose Gailey to another team after Super Bowl XXX in 1995, Cowher did not re-hire offensive coordinator Ron Erhardt and promoted Gailey to the position.

After two years as offensive coordinator, Gailey left to become head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, leading them to back-to-back playoff appearances and winning the NFC East title in 1998.
So maybe Cowher had some say in this. Let's assume he recommended Gailey on his way out the door, what does that say about Whisenhunt and Grimm? I'm just wildly speculating at this point because I don't know what else to do when I hear that Chan Freakin' Gailey's interviewing for the head coaching job. By the way, in Gailey's second season with the Cowboys, the team went 8-8. Sure, they made the playoffs, but it's worth pointing out that only won eight games.

Honestly, I don't think much will come of this, but it now seems like we won't hear anything until later in the week at the earliest. (it sounded like a decision might come as early as next Monday.) Whatever, I'm in no rush ... unless Gailey does get the job. Then I want to know as soon as possible so I can start thinking about which team I'll root for next season.