Thursday, January 25, 2007

First Ever Ken Anderson Game Thread

I'll be honest, I loved Kenny Anderson and Lethal Weapon 3. Honestly, how awesome was that Georgia Tech team? Huh? Wrong Ken Anderson? Get out?

Okay, I know Ken Anderson (and I know it's not a game thread, but I like symmetry). He's the tall, formerly mustachioed white dude who once completed 20 consecutive passes or something. I know this because one of my first NFL-related memories was watching the 1981-82 Cincinnati Bengals and actually talking my parents into getting me an Anderson kids jersey (yes, they made them). Hey, I was eight, what do you want.

And now, he's the Steelers new quarterbacks coach. I like this move. Not because I think Anderson will be better than Mark Whipple. I liked Whipple and thought he was good for Big Ben early in his career, but you know what? Ben's entering his fourth year and somebody needs to kick him in the ass. Steve mentioned this in the comments yesterday and I agree: it's about time Ben take this whole job thing seriously.

I got the impression that Whipple was Ben's enabler (and this is just speculation on my part) and if Tomlin can send an early message that things are going to be different then I'm all for it. Don't get me wrong, I like Ben and think he's a good guy, but he could be a much better player. I know we love to hate Tom Brady and, to a lesser extent, Peyton Manning (although I'm guessing that'll change if he wins the Super Bowl ... it'll be full-blown hatred after the media get done slurping him) but those guys bust their asses. I don't get that impression with Ben.

On a totally unrelated note, I wanted to give Eric props for his new word. It's already spreading around the internets. From Honest Wagner:
Clark Judge of Sportsline and Ed Bouchette report that Grimm might have misread the Rooneys on Saturday. Which brings us to Prisuta. Rowdy chided me for biting and linking to that pantload. Then the Trib went and prisutaed the whole story as if it never happened. See Ryan at HSS if that last sentence didn't make sense.
Solid.