Monday, April 24, 2006

Good News ... & Other News

Alrighty, so what'll it be ... the good news first or the "other" news? While you're deciding, I'll just go ahead and spill the beans. Our good buddy Jim Wexell asked me to write for his site, SteelCityInsiders.com. And when I say "write" I mean "do exactly what I do here except only about the Steelers." Basically, I have free reign to be just as goofy and ridiculous as I usually am, but now I'll earn a little extra dough for my efforts. (Yeah, why anybody would pay to read this junk is beyond me, but what am I going to do, turn it down?)

My first column went up this morning, but from here on out it'll be premium content, meaning, well, you'll have to be a subscriber to read it. People who've spent any time reading the stuff I write will see a lot of familiar themes: CPW-esque references to Mike Prisuta and fat jokes at the expense of Barrett Brooks.

So, what's going to happen with HSS? Ideally, nothing. I can talk til I'm blue in the face about the Red Sox and Tar Heels and there obviously won't be any overlap between my work here and for SteelCityInsiders. Steelers-related stuff is a little different however. I'm currently slated to write roughly three columns a week, which means that I'll probably cut down on what I write here, at least for the next few weeks. Part of this has to do with finishing up PFP 2006, and part has to do with just getting a feel for how much time I'll have to work on various things.

In the meantime, I'll still have an Offseason Round File later this week, and hopefully Friday we can talk about our Big Board heading into the weekend. And speaking of this weekend, I'll be sitting in front of the TV all day Saturday and Sunday. Literally. Which means that'll I'll probably start a thread here early Saturday and make my usual allotment of wise-ass comments as the day progresses. And then do it all over again Sunday.

So to recap: I'll be taking the Steelers part of HSS over to Wexell's site, but I still will write about them here too, I just don't yet know to what extent (other than what I just mentioned in the paragraph above). After the draft, and after PFP 2006 is, um, in the books, I'll have a better sense of what to expect. Either way, there's still plenty of draft-related stuff to talk about and I'll get to that later this week.

Oh yeah, there is no "other" news, I just wanted to distract you.

***
Okay, completely changing gears, I need some advice. (And yes, I have the world's worst timing. After basically telling you I'll be cutting back here for a while, I turn around and ask you for a favor. Hey, what can I say.) Anyway, does anybody know anything about laptops? And I don't mean you're aware that it's a portable computer small enough to use on one's lap. I've always wanted a Mac, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger for various reasons (some of which have to do with having Windows-only software that I didn't want to have to buy again if I made the switch), and now that the new Macs can also run XP, it seems like as good a time as any. But I really don't have a clue and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Everybody start getting your draft board together because I'll be back later in the week to solicit opinions.