Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Why Red Sox fans hate Roger Clemens

No sooner had I written my own personal diatribe on Derek Jeter than I read Seth Stevenson's scathing story in Slate on his unmitigated abhorrence for Roger Clemens. As you may or may not have guessed (or perhaps 'cared' is a better verb), Stevenson is a Red Sox fan. I'll let you take a look at the whole article at your leisure, but here are a couple of my favorite paragraphs:

Dear Roger Clemens,

Let me offer my hearty congratulations on starting the All-Star Game. Wow, that is really terrific. I'd like to note, however, that I hate you.

Also: You are fat. They say you've got this hard-core training regimen, with calisthenics and whatnot. I'm not seeing it. You're wicked fat.

Oh, perhaps that was uncalled for. You know what else was uncalled for? Sucking, every time it mattered.
And it only gets worse (funnier) from there.