Wednesday, May 26, 2004

This just in: Jeter still can't hit

I dislike Jeter as much as the next Red Sox fan, but I think I've had my fill of all the news stories reporting on his season long slump to date. Both the New York Times and Washington Post have lengthy articles explaining why Jeter has struggled in 2004.

Personally, I think it has nothing to do with A-Rod and I'm more inclinded to side with Thomas Boswell who writes:
...In Jeter's case, he swings at everything. More so now than in the past because, as Manager Joe Torre says, "he's overanxious." But Jeter has always been impatient. Roughly 40 percent of his at-bats this season have ended within two pitches.
That's a pretty telling statistic, but I have my own theory why Jeter is slumping -- his luck finally ran out. He's been extremely, extremely lucky since he first came up in 1995 and in 2004 his luck finally ran out. No more swinging bunt doubles, no getting jammed and hitting a pop-up triple over the first baseman's head. The song's over and it's time to pay the piper. Finally.