Friday, March 19, 2004

What does Pro Day really mean?
I know this whole Pro Day thing is a big deal, but I'm not sure having a bunch of NFL coaches watching prospective draftees run sprints and partake in the long jump is a good measure of NFL success. I know it's important to get an idea of a player's physical strengths and weaknesses, but it seems like both players and coaches would be better served if other measures of future success were used (and to be fair, I've never been to a pro day so I don't know exactly what they do there -- it could very well be the case that they do much more than recreate the third grade field day experience).

Anyway, Kevin Jones, thought by many to be one of the first two RBs taken -- primarily because of his combination of speed and strength, ran a 4.61, 4.63 and a 4.65 40. I don't know if this means he will slip in his draft position, but maybe it does mean that he'll have to rely more on strength than speed as the strength of his game.