Friday, March 26, 2004

Tarheel recruits take part in roundball classic
From Tony's Tarheel page:
"Tar Heel recruits Marvin Williams and J.R. Smith each participated - albeit on opposite sides - at the Roundball Classic in Chicago last night. Smith suited up for the east and earned MVP honors with his 16 point, 4 assist, 2 rebound effort while Williams contributed 15 points and 2 rebounds for the victorious West. Both players will also participate in the prestigious McDonald's All-Star game next Wednesday night as well."
Here's a story in the Charlotte Observer (free registration required) about the Roundball Classic MVP Shaun Livingston (he's going to Duke), Marvin Williams and J.R. Smith. Here's what Smith said about going straight to the NBA:
"I'm not going to say I won't turn pro," he said. "I want to be a college player. I want to play for coach (Roy) Williams. But it would be great to play in the NBA because that's everyone's goal out here.

"You only have so many chances to get there. If that's my chance, I'll take it."
Here's a look at the 2004 Roundball Classic rosters.