Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Steeler Draft News
Tribune-Review online sports editor Chris Kucharski does a weekly Q & A and here's a couple of Q & A's that caught my eye:

Q:...I noticed that in your mock draft, you don't project a CB going until number 16, then there are four in a row. I don't think I've seen the first CB go that late in the draft before. Is this a weak year for first line CBs? Is there a CB worth taking as high as #11, and could he be a starter right away?

Also, now that the Steelers have signed Staley, do you still think they will take a RB as their first pick, and would you now try to move down in the draft and if so, why? Thanks for considering my questions. I'm a born and raised Pittsburger now retired and living in a warmer climate and a die-hard Steeler fan.

Chris: Concerning the cornerbacks, there is not a Terence Newman in this year's draft. He came into the league and was an immediate impact with the Cowboys. If the Steelers want to take a cornerback with the 11th selection, they will have their pick of which corner they want. However, I would love to see the Steelers trade down and get a cornerback somewhere around 18 or 19. They could acquire another third round pick if they do that. The problem is that every team wants to trade down. It really comes down to the moment you are selecting. If there is a player someone wants bad enough, you can get a deal done. That would be the perfect scenario for the Steelers.

I don't think the Steelers will take a RB with the 11 pick. There are too many other holes to fill. I think they might have considered taking Stephen Jackson, but I don't think he makes it out of the Top 10. So, they went for the RB in free agency. They could still take one later on Day 1, especially if they acquire another pick. But if Kevin Jones is available at 11, the Black and Gold will pass.

Q: Chris, Could Ben Roethlisberger be a realistic option at #11? The only team in between who would have had an interest at QB was Cleveland, but they just signed Jeff Garcia for 4 years at $25 mil. I heard that Cowher covets Roethlisberger, but they didn't have the ammo to move up to get him. Could he possibly fall into their laps?

Chris: In my recent mock draft, I have Ben Roethlisberger falling to the Steelers. However, this draft is based on every team drafting where they are and no trades taking place. I think someone will trade-up to get Roethlisberger before the No. 10 pick. Will that be the Steelers?

Maybe. If they want him bad enough and get the right deal to move up several spots, it could happen. They might be leary giving up picks considering they have so many needs and they gave up picks last season to get Troy Polamalu. My gut feeling is if Ben is there at 11, the Steelers have their QB of the future. If not, they will not trade up to get him.