Wednesday, February 18, 2004

John Valentin has some Advice for A-Rod

From Today's Boston Globe
"I'll tell you this, don't be surprised if he gets bored and says, 'I don't want to do this anymore.'...I'm not A-Rod, obviously, but there were many days I was playing at third base or second base, and I said to myself, 'I'm a shortstop playing third base,' and I didn't want to be there."
-John Valentin, who made the switch from shortstop to third base under duress for the Red Sox, talking about A-Rod's move to third base.

It was also reported that Valentin signed a minor league contract with the Houston Astros and will conceivably battle Roger Clemens for the title of oldest, heaviest former Red Sock still in professional baseball (the competition has intensified now that perennial front-runner, Mo Vaughn has retired).

In a related story, Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake caused a scare in Boston earlier this week when he left a bag of cocaine in the booth where he earns a living as a toll collector and a subway rider thought that it was anthrax.